The Foundation is an initiative of the internationally renowned architect and urban planner, Charles Correa. It is constituted as a duly registered not-for-profit public charitable trust to initiate and encourage architecture, urban design, planning and community projects. The motivation for starting the Foundation centered on architecture and planning came with the realization that in our society a number of ideas that originate with citizens do not see the light of day. This is because there exists no support system that provides the incubation period the ideas need to be developed, and no clear path for the attention of the governmental or private agency that is expected to participate in the implementation. All the work undertaken by the Foundation is on a ‘‘not-for-profit’’ basis.
The mandate of the Foundation is to identify ideas with potential and process them into tangible, structured projects that can be pitched to the stakeholders and authorities. Sharing walls with heritage houses in the precinct of Fontainhas, the Foundation studio occupies a small footprint in the historic area.
Over the span of seven years since its inception, the Foundation has worked on many projects and ideas that aim to make a significant impact in the public realm. The work at the Foundation follows an organic process that originates with identifying an issue or a concern that has a potential to use a design intervention.
Aims and Objectives:
- To initiate and encourage architecture, urban design and community projects in the urban public realm, that work for the betterment of the natural and built habitat, through instituting Fellowships that support, coordinate and direct the projects.
- To organize field studies, seminars, lectures, conferences, symposia etc., needed for the previously mentioned objective.
- To establish and maintain archives of drawings, designs, maps, and literature in the field of architecture and the built environment, and make it accessible for the benefit of the citizens.
- To publish journals, reports and other research papers and books with a view to disseminating information on architecture, urban and rural planning, low-cost shelters, habitats and other environmental and ecological issues.
- To provide Scholarships, prizes and other awards as support to students of architecture including Exchange Programmes and Academic Chairs for architecture and planning.
- To carry on any activity to fulfill the objectives of this Foundation if, and only if, it can be termed as charitable as defined under Income Tax Act 1961 or any statutory modifications thereof and to use the income and the funds of the Foundation for the fulfillment of its objectives.
169, St.Sebastian Chapel Road,
t: +91 832 2220058
Shrinivas Vasudev Dempo [Chairman, Dempo Group]
Monika Correa [Tapestry Weaver]
Rahul Deshpande [Civil Engineer]
Trustee; Executive Committee
Christopher Heredia [Executive Director, (Retd) Ceat Ltd.]
Nasser-Eddin Mukhtar Munjee [Chairman, DCB Bank]
Dr. Oscar F. Rebello [Consultant Physician]
Arminio Ribeiro [Architect]
Trustee; Executive Committee; Ex-Hon Director
Sanjit Rodrigues [General Director at GSWMC]
Nondita Correa Mehrotra [Principal, RMA Architects]
Vanessa De Sa [Architect]
Freda Coutinho e D’Souza
Sachin Agshikar [Architect]
Pankaj Joshi [Director, UDRI, Mumbai]
Rahul Mehrotra [Professor at Harvard GSD and Principal, RMA Architects]
Ruturaj Parikh [Architect and ex-Director]
Amit Sukhtankar [Architect]
Malhar Chawada (2017-2018) [Architect]
Vaishali Joshi (2017-2018) [Architect]
Rashmin Sorathiya (2017-2018) [Architect]
2016-2017: Saritha Sudhakaran
2015-2016: Preethi Sudharsha
2013-2014: Bhavana Hameed [Associate Director]
2011-2013: Vignesh Prasad [Studio Head]
2016-2017: Arushi Chitrao, Ankush Chandran
2015-2016: Ankit Kumar, Anubhuti Chandna
2014-2015: Nitesh Kumar, Saniya Khan
2013-2014: Anandit Sachdev, Rochelle Santimano, Rhea D’souza, Golda Pereira
2012-2013: Maria Gutierrez Pilar, Charanya K.L
2011-2012: Saloni Parekh, Kanika Jamdar